Aaron A. Velasco
Earthquake and Treaty Verification Seismology
Phone: (915) 747-5101
Fax: (915) 747-5073
Over my career, my research has spanned a variety of seismological
subjects, including earthquake source modeling, seismotectonics,
earthquake hazards, and nuclear treaty monitoring research (seismic
event detection, location, and discrimination). I have also studied
hydroacoustic wave propagation and explored military applications of
seismology. Since arriving at the University of Texas at El Paso in
January 2002, I
have been able to expand my research goals and pursue projects that
were inconceivable to me just a few years ago.
My current projects include: seismic hazard analyses through the study
of historic and recent earthquakes in the Bhutan Himalayas and Cape
Mendocino, California; determining Earth structure from analysis of a
data recorded by a temporary seismic network in Bhutan; studying the
earthquake rupture processes of the Nov. 8, 2002 Denali Fault, Alaska
earthquake; and studying regional wave propagations from mining
explosions in eastern Arizona for nuclear explosion monitoring. I plan
to continue developing a strong research program at UTEP.
Thus, I am also seeking funding for the following: improving seismic
techniques utilizing Wavelet Transforms; studying earthquake rupture
processes of large earthquakes to understand the earthquake cycle;
improving regional seismic detection, location, and discrimination;
studying the evolution of the Rio Grande Rift near El Paso, TX using
both passive seismic data and geological investigations; increasing
field capabilities through the purchase of broadband seismometer
systems; and further developing field projects in the Bhutan Himalayas
and in the Alps in Austria.
CURRENT AND FORMER STUDENTS:
Committee Chair, Masters Thesis
- Vicki Gee, Geological Sciences,
University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP),2003-present
- Todd Theiner, Geological Sciences, UTEP
- Marina Rodriguez-Moya, Computer
Sciences, UTEP 2003-present
Committee Chair, Ph.D. Thesis
- Eva Rumpfhuber, Geological Sciences,
- Cleit Zeiler, Geological Sciences, UTEP
Committee Member, Masters Thesis
Wiest, Geological Sciences, UTEP
- Cara Schiek, Geological Sciences, UTEP
- Claudia Flores, Geological Sciences,
- Roberto A. Saenz, Mathematical
Sciences, UTEP 2003
Committee Member, Ph.D. Thesis
- Wesley Brown, Geological Sciences, UTEP
- Annette Veilleux, Geological Sciences,
- Nicholas Mariita, Geological Sciences,
- Leandro Trevino Graduate Student, UTEP
- Daniel Hernandez, Undergraduate
Student, UTE 2002-present
- Thomas VanDeMark, Undergraduate
Student, UTEP 2002-present
- Monica Maceira, Graduate Student, Penn.
State University/Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL)2000-present
- Matt Averill, Graduate Student, UTEP
- Tiffini Bond, Graduate Student, UTEP
- Eric Hernandez, High School Student,
- Melissa Brophy, Undergraduate Student,
- Dowchu Drukpa, Graduate Student, UTEP
- Jill Franks, Undergraduate Student,
University of Saint Louis/LANL 2002
- Claudia Flores, Graduate Student,
- Moira Pyle, Undergraduate Student,
University of Saint Louis/LANL 2001
- Claudia Aprea, Postdoctoral Researcher,
- Michael Begnaud, Postdoctoral
Researcher, LANL 1999-2000
- Craig Whitted, Graduate student,
University of Arizona 1999
- Brett Ketter, Graduate student,
University of Saint Louis 1998
|TOP OF PAGE
- Digital Signal Processing, (GEOP
5460), 4 hours, Graduate, Lecture/Lab, Spring 2004
- Principles of Earth Science (GEOL
1303), 3 hours, Undergraduate, Lecture, Fall 2003, Spring 2004
- Advanced Physical Geology (GEOL
4315/5315), 3 hours, New Course, Lecture co-taught with C. Andronicos,
- Advanced Seismology (GEOP 5356), 3
hours, Graduate, Lecture, Spring 2003
- Introduction to Physical Geology (GEOL
1301), 3 hours, Undergraduate, Lecture, Spring 2002, Spring 2003, Fall
- Seismology, (GEOP 5354), 3 hours,
Graduate, Lecture, Fall 2002, Fall 2004
- Pathways Summer Camp, High School
Students, 2-days of Geophysics, Summer 2002, 2003, 2004
- Introduction to Seismology and Nuclear
Explosion Monitoring, 2-day workshop, LANL, Summer 2002
|TOP OF PAGE
- Schiek, C., J. M. Hurtado, and A. A.
Velasco, 2004, Fourier analysis terrain change detection using ASTER
optical satellite imagery along the Kunlun fault, Tibet, J.
Photogrammetry Remote Sensing, submitted.
- VanDeMark, T., W. Brown, D. I. Doser,
A. A. Velasco, 2004,
Regional wave propagation in the Lybia region, Bull. Seis. Soc. Am.,
- Drukpa, D., A. A. Velasco, and D. I.
Doser, 2004, Seismicity of the Bhutan region (1937-2003): Evidence for
deep transcurrent deformation, J. Geophys. Res., submitted.
- Maceira, M., S. R. Taylor, C. J. Ammon,
X. Yang, A. A. Velasco, 2004, High resolution surface wave slowness
tomography in central Asia, J. Geophys. Res., accepted upon revision.
- Andronicos, C. L., and A. A. Velasco,
2004, Large scale deformation in the India-Asia collision constrained
by earthquakes and topography, GSA Bull., accepted upon revision.
- Ketter, B., A. A. Velasco, C. J. Ammon,
and G. E. Randall, 2003, Path specific velocity structure of western
China from surface-wave dispersion, Pure App. Geophys., accepted upon
- Velasco, A. A., C. J. Ammon, J.
Farrell, and K. Pankow, 2004, Rupture directivity of the November 3,
2002 Denali fault earthquake determined from surface waves, Bull.
Seism. Soc. Am., in press.
- Velasco, A. A., H. E. Hartse, and G.
E. Randall, 2003, Propagation or source? Analysis of a moderate sized
event in the Qinghai Province, China, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 93,
- Taylor, S. R., A. A. Velasco, Hartse,
W. S. Phillips, and W. R. Walter, 2002, Amplitude corrections for
regional seismic discriminants, Pure App. Geophys., 159, 623-650.
- Steck, L. K., A. A. Velasco, A. H.
Cogbill, and H. J. Patton, 2001, Improving regional seismic event
location in China, Pure and Appl. Geophys., 158, 211-240.
- Phillips, W. S., H. E. Hartse, S. R.
Taylor, A. A. Velasco, and G. E. Randall, 2001, Amplitude tomography
for regional seismic verification, Pure and Appl. Geophys., 158,
- Velasco, A. A., C. J. Ammon, and S. L.
Beck, 2000, Broadband source modeling of the November 8, 1997 Tibet (Mw
= 7.5) earthquake and its tectonic implications, J. Geophys. Res., 105,
- Whitted, C. A., S. R. Taylor, A. A.
Velasco, H. E. Hartse, and G. Zandt, 2001, A path specific crustal
study in central Asia from group velocity inversions and full waveform
modeling, submitted to Geophys. Res. Lett.
- Velasco, A. A., C. J. Ammon, T. Lay,
and M. Hagerty, 1996, Rupture process of the 1990 Luzon, Philippines
(Mw = 7.7) earthquake, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 22419-22434.
- Velasco, A. A., T. Lay, and J. Zhang,
1996, Long period surface observations of the October 18, 1989, Loma
Prieta earthquake, in The Loma Prieta, California, earthquake of
October 17, 1989--Main-shock characteristics, U. S. G. S. Loma Prieta
professional paper 1550-a, ed. Paul Spudich, A209-A214.